Build Your Own Smart Home Hub
Looking for a fun and educational project? Now you can build your own smart home hub with HomeSeer software and a Raspberry Pi computer. Just follow the step by step guide below.
Raspberry Pi Smart Home Hub
What You’ll Need
- HomeSeer HS3-Pi-3 Software License
- SmartStick+ G2 or UZB Stick (Required for Z-Wave)
- Raspberry Pi2, Pi3, or Pi3 B+ Computer
- Blank MicroSD Card (8GB or larger, preferably class 10 or faster)
- Regulated Micro USB Power Supply
- Raspberry Pi Enclosure
- SD Card reader
Option 1 – Full Image Installation (Recommended for Most People)
- Download Etcher and HomeSeer Rasp-Pi Image and save to your hard drive.
- Unzip HomeSeer Rasp-Pi Image to your hard drive Note: This may take up to 20 minutes.
- Install and run Etcher.
- Insert blank MicroSD card into SD card reader.
- Select the unzipped HomeSeer Rasp-Pi Image file and the correct drive letter of your SD card. Click Flash. The process could take up to 20 minutes.
- Once the flash completes, remove your SD card and insert into your Raspberry Pi3 computer. Connect the computer to your router and power it on. Boot time is approximately 1 minute.
- Open your browser, navigate to http://find.homeseer.com to start using smart home hub!
Option 2 – Application Only Installation (For Linux Experts)
- Download the HS3 for Pi3 Tar file.
- You must have the full install of MONO on your Pi3 Computer, install with:
a. apt-get install mono-complete
b. apt-get install mono-vbnc
- You can start HS3 by entering ./go in the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory to test and then add a line in rc.local to start it
automatically when your system starts. Start it using the script /usr/local/HomeSeer/autostart_hs.
• login: homeseer | pass: hsthsths3
- After starting your system, go to find.homeseer.com to connect to your system or connect to your pi’s IP on port 80. (If you already have a server running on port 80 (maybe Apache), edit the file /usr/local/HomeSeer/Config/settings.ini and change the setting “gWebSvrPort” to any port you want. Restart HS3 or your system.)
Troubleshooting Your New Smart Home Hub
All customers have lifetime support. Initially you have 30 Day Priority Phone Support and after that you have support through our Help Desk (helpdesk.homeseer.com) and our community based Message Board (forums.homeseer.com).